Ponderings For 2008-12-09
- Just watched last night’s 2 part series finale of Boston Legal. I’m really gonna miss this show, which has been better than ever this last short season. When one realizes that this last 2 part episode turns out to be episodes 100 and 101 of the series, it’s not hard to figure out how they got the approval for this last half season, just to push that episode count past the magical 100 that the syndication market loves so much. This finale was so great. And for a show that constantly breaks the fourth wall, they really started to climb out on the limb, openly mocking and criticizing the very network and the reason it’s so hard for a show like it to survive. How many other shows could get away with staging a court scene in which the show defends it’s own existence in the TV market, stopping JUST short of saying its own name a cited example? And the final step of the Alan & Denny relationship was so great. At any rate, it’s sad to see the series go. But I must admit that I really like it when shows know ahead of time that they are ending their run. It makes for a lot of fun in those last few episodes.
- I’ve been checking out a few of today’s video releases. The Dark Knight Blu-Ray looks and sounds absolutely fantastic. Then I was very impressed with hour+ of documentary materials on the first disc. However, once I put in the second disc, I was suddenly less than impressed. All-in-all, this totally smacks of a release that will have another more inclusive release in the near future. The blu-ray set for Lost Season 4, however, is anything but lacking. I only scratched the surface looking through the stuff on that set, and it’s just a staggering amount of cool stuff. Coolest to me, the music score nerd that I am, is the 45 minutes or so of material about Michael Giacchino’s fantastic work in scoring the show (not to mention the cool concert they did in Hawaii). I’ll be sifting through this set for a while. I’ll also take a look at the blu-ray for Horton Hears A Who in the next day or two, as well as a couple of today’s other releases.
- A nifty new trailer for Terminator Salvation has hit the web
- Those Battlestar writers really know how to throw a wedding
- Happy 40th birthday to the mouse